Primeros Días en Santiago, DR!
Ya estamos aquí!! Here's a little bit about what we've been up to since we arrived:
Day 1: Travel to Santiago
- Tired, but excited, we arrived around 8:30pm on Sunday. Students went directly to meet their Dominican families.
Day 2: Orientation
- We traveled to Jarabacoa, a mountainous area about an hour outside of Santiago for orientation.
- Students went through a Dominican "crash course" of all the basics of being in the country
- We visited Jimenoa and Yaque del Norte rivers
- Students visited Centro Cultural Domínico-Americano educational center, where we will have classes and seminars & completed a Spanish placement test
- After lunch, we went on a tour of Santiago, visiting the monument and the surrounding municipalities
A few of our favorites so far:
- the FOOD! (plátanos at every meal & rice and beans galore!)
- the lush vegetation everywhere!
- our awesome host families
- the friendly people
Kathryn (Program Leader)